6 Open Source Test Reporting Tools 2021
Running automated tests is beneficial for software open-source. Presently you need to comprehend the consequences of the current test. You could be intrigued to perceive how your tests results advance over the long run.
To accomplish these objectives, you need an instrument to deliver important tests reports and there are some open-source test reporting tools to assist you with doing this.
Test automation reporting is a significant part of the automation structure. When your automated test suites are executed, test results will be the artefacts to break down failures. You will be compelled to execute the failed experiments to explore them further if you don’t report the failures appropriately.
Every test automation services organization needs to use an automation testing dashboard announcing automation to report the outcomes and logs. Test reports are a vital piece of any test automation system, yet shockingly enough there are not many committed test reporting tools for automated testing accessible out there.
In this blog, we have listed the top 5 best open source test reporting tools which are generally utilized via automation testing networks across the globe.
Robot Framework is a popular extensible keyword-driven open-source test automation system in Python. The system is principally utilized for ATDD (Acceptance Test Driven Development), acknowledgement testing, RPA (Robotic Process Automation), and BDD (Behavior Driven Development). Robot structure is considered as one of the top Python testing systems for Selenium automation testing.
The system is rationalist of the objective on which testing is performed. It follows a layered design, and the collaboration between layers in the framework happens to utilize framework libraries. When the test execution is finished, the system creates logs and reports. The supported designs are XML and HTML.
The reports given by the Robot structure are thorough and contain data about each line that is executed as a piece of the test scenario(s).
- The reporting mechanism is built-in to the Robot system.
- The reports are point by point and simpler to read. The data about error messages are accessible in the log records as messages of failed keywords.
- It is equipped for producing reports in XML and HTML designs.
- The structure has support for Keyword Driven Test reports.
As the Robot structure is utilized for Keyword Driven (or Table Driven) Testing, you need to follow a similar arrangement in the reports.
Know more about 6 Types Of Test Automation Frameworks That You Should Know!
TestNG is a famous open-source unit testing system inspired by JUnit and NUnit. It accompanies a library with a default announcing a feature that can be utilized to create test reports and can be put away in an assigned folder. Aside from the essential level reports, it gives an alternative to create detailed reports.
The record index.html that is produced with no manual involvement conveys the whole report, alongside data on mistakes, tests executed, the situation with test situations, and many more.
At the point when TestNG is utilized with IDE resembles Eclipse or IntelliJ IDEA, TestNG can make an emailable-report.html that shows the scores of each test situation that can be implanted and shared with no issue.
- Makes HTML reports
- No extra installation required, as the reporting feature comes to default with the TestNG system
- Best open source test reporting tool for Selenium and Java blend and simple to use with CI/CD devices like Jenkins, GitLab CI, etc.
- Just accessible with TestNG system
- Supports just Java
- Makes only local HTML reports
HTML Publisher + Jenkins
Jenkins is an incredible open-source CI/CD tool that is supported by a vibrant community and a developing plugin environment. The HTML Publisher module is utilized for distributing HTML reports that a form in Jenkins creates to the work and fabricate pages.
HTML Publisher plugin can work with FreeStyle and Pipeline projects in Jenkins. It is not difficult to introduce the module and use it with a task in Jenkins. The HTML report catalogue area must be documented, and the Index Page (index.html) must be added as a piece of the ‘Post Publish Actions.’
For utilizing the HTML Publisher module with Jenkins Pipeline, the public HTML step must be included in the ‘post’ part of the pipeline.
- Uniform colour-coding that indicates the situation with the tests executed, making it easy the report substance
- The HTML Publisher module in Jenkins allows clients to distribute HTML reports made during a trial and including the equivalent inside the Jenkins project results.
- It is generally simple to utilize the module in FreeStyle activities and Jenkins Pipeline projects.
- It supports well-known test systems for Ruby, Python, Java, and C#
- Third-party APIs could be used in Jenkins for producing HTML reports with the test outcomes
- Documentation isn’t comprehensive because of which clients face issues in designing the module, show issues in the HTML report, and more
JUnit Plugin + Jenkins
In Jenkins, the JUnit module gives a publisher that creates HTML reports utilizing the XML test report produced during the build process. The module additionally adds a perception of the verifiable test outcomes, web UI for review test reports, following the situation with experiments (counting failures), and then more.
At the point when the JUnit test report XML design with TestNG is arranged in Jenkins, it can give extra data about test results (e.g., patterns). The JUnit publisher module can be utilized with FreeStyle projects and Jenkins Pipeline.
It tends to be designed to permit void outcomes, trigger detailing just if tests are successful, and so on as a feature of the post-build activity. JUnit Jenkins module ought to be a favoured decision for test report generation with Java on Jenkins.
It is not difficult, to begin with, JUnit by setting off report generation utilizing ‘Execute Windows Batch Command under form segment’ or ‘post form activity’ in Jenkins Pipeline.
We favour the HTML Publisher module with Jenkins. It may very well be utilized with different languages separated from Java and gives detailed data than other Selenium test reporting tools like JUnit (on Jenkins).
- Implicit help for JUnit and TestNG structure.
- It very well may be effortlessly incorporated with other test automation systems just if they produce reports in the JUnit design.
- Basic and proficient module in Jenkins for producing test automation reports.
- Works just with Jenkins.
- Reports have a primitive look and feel.
- The prerequisite is that reports ought to be created in the JUnit design.
Also, read about the 7 Best Test Management Tools That You Should Know!
The Allure Framework is an adaptable and lightweight multi-language open-source test reporting tool. It gives clear graphical reports and permits everybody associated with the improvement cycle to separate a limit of data from the regular software testing process. The
One of the particular features of Allure is to have the option to connect to client stories or epic defined in Behavior-Driven Development (BDD) tools.
- It has various connectors for testing systems
- Creates definite test reports that give a reasonable perception of outline, surrenders, practices (for BDD tests), graphs, and timeline
- Support for taking screenshots, a feature that helps in UI testing
- Point by point documentation and thorough models with various programming languages
- Usable as an on-premises solution
- Simple to coordinate with CI/CD instruments like Jenkins, GitLab CI, etc.
- Allure Plugin System gives a more noteworthy degree of adaptability to the representation of reports
- Active community on GitHub and stages like Stack Overflow
- Plugin arrangement that doesn’t have its information base, should be incorporated with Jenkin/TeamCity/Bamboo to go into the community report
Extend Reports is an open-source test management software utilized in selenium test automation. Extend reports become the best option for Selenium Automation Testers, even though Selenium accompanies inbuilt reports utilizing systems like JUnit and TestNG.
The significant contrast between the reports given by JUnit and Extent library is the coherence and lucidity of data that is enhanced with pie graphs and other visual components. The Extent Reports Library has arrangements to add logs, occasions, screen captures, gadgets, labels, creators, or whatever other data that can improve the report’s data.
- Extent reports are more adaptable than others.
- It tends to be effortlessly coordinated with structures like JUnit, NUnit, and TestNG.
- It shows the time taken for experiment execution.
- Extend API can create more intelligent reports, a dashboard see, graphical view, catch screenshots at each test step, and emailable reports.
- Great documentation.
- The community plan does exclude CI/CD combination.
- The community plan has a restricted dashboard that does exclude: Errors able, Author filter, Tags table, Device filter.
- Support just Java and C#.
Learn in the latest blog which is about A Detailed Guide On How To Install Selenium IDE.
In this blog, we had a point by point look at the best open-source test reporting tools, some of which are language-explicit, though some are explicit to the CI/CD instrument. The use of the ideal Selenium reporting tools is fundamental for any task that includes Selenium automation testing.
It helps track the advancement of the testing action and helps in imparting the status to the significant stakeholders of the project. We hope this blog has helped you to find the best test reporting tool.