Kulish, Automation Test Engineer At AppSierra On Being Productive At Work!
Kulish Kulshrestha is a proficient and extremely intuitive Automation Test Engineer in the AppSierra team. The success of any organization depends on the working of its team members, and Kulish plays a pivotal role in holding together the team as well as taking up any responsibilities and challenges that come his way.
He has in-depth knowledge about various automation and CI/CD tools. With his brilliant communication skills and subject matter expertise- Kulish has created a great rapport with the client as well as the AppSierra management.
So, if you want to learn more about the workings and prerequisites of being an automation test engineer, read ahead and learn from the best.
1. Can you please tell us about your roles and responsibilities as an automation test engineer?
As an Automation Test Engineer, I have the following responsibilities:
- Write, design, and execute automated tests by creating scripts that run testing functions automatically;
- Maximize test coverage for the most critical features of the system;
- Determine the priority for test scenarios and create execution plans to implement these scenarios;
- Write documentation for automated processes including test plans, test procedures, and test cases;
- Build test automation frameworks;
- Log and document bugs in the tracking system;
- Set up Continuous Integration.
- Collaboration with the team and reducing the repetitive manual effort are required for upholding the quality of the application.
- Run Regression Test on Builds and share the report
- Optimize and updating the existing test suite
2. What are the advantages of working in Appsierra over other MNCs?
Working with AppSierra has several advantages. we get a chance to work with different projects which provide better exposure and opportunity. There is better recognition of your work
Also being part of a small team for a project makes it easier to manage and provides clearer communication among teammates and clients. The interaction of top management with each and every employee is on a personal level which gives us an opportunity to learn from their experience and align ourselves to the vision and mission of the organization.
Appsierra allows you the freedom of giving valuable additions to the project and exploring the new horizons of technology for the betterment of the team. This is something that isn’t always available with bigger MNCs, where you need to reach a certain level before your inputs are heard and recognized.
3. What are the key skills and certifications required by a fresher to apply for this role?
Any fresher who wants to have a career as a Test Automation Engineer should have
- Understanding of software development life cycle
- Strong foundations for Fundamentals of Software Testing (ISTQB certification is preferred)
- Good hold on a scripting language (Java and JS preferred)
- Understanding of at least one automation tool (Selenium /Cypress/ WebdriverIO)
- Basic knowledge of GIT
- A keen observer and fast learner
- Good communication skills, both written and verbal.
- Should be able to adapt to new technologies and team environments.
4. Has work from home been more productive than working from the office? Why?
I personally believe work from home is more productive because of the following reasons:
- No commute - Which saves a lot of time that can be utilized elsewhere
- More productive day - Less water cooler/ Coffee talks.
- A balance between personal and professional lives - Since both are blended together managing them is now easy
- ODD shift hours can be easily handled while working from home than from the office
5. When working in a team you often get different personalities. How to maintain team spirit?
How you gel with a person is a very personal thing. But at a professional setting, to successfully handle a team and maintain good vibes, we should have:
- Clear and ample communication between team members
- The roles and responsibilities should be clearly defined so that there is no scope for confusion
- Opportunities should be provided to address and clear doubts on time so that it’s easier to achieve the collective and individual goals.
- In case of any ambiguity, a project benefiting approach should be given preference over individual approaches.
- Rewards and recognition like shoutouts, etc. should be given on achievements, as this will boost the individual motivation.
6. What are the key etiquette to follow in a client-facing role?
The key etiquette to follow a client-facing role are:
- Be polite and humble
- Communicate in a clear and concise manner
- Don't interrupt when someone is speaking, wait for your chance
- Have a stable internet connection
- Communicate in a silent, noise-free environment
- Understand the requirement clearly, if necessary ask for clarifications.
- The requirement and ideas of the client should always be given preference over yours, but feel free to politely introduce your ideas for improved results if required.
- Deadlines given by the client should be adhered to